NYSC 101-MY CORPER CHRONICLE

09:58:00


nysc

It’s quite funny. I mean has it ever happened to you that you get too excited about your tomorrow and schedule that you just can’t sleep and all of a sudden lose appetite for food. This happens to me all the time.
For my consistent readers, I know ya’ll be wondering where I’ve been for some time since I went AWOL, but if you are following @official.mzluchy on Instagram, then you know it. Lol.
It’s been 9 months after my graduation and finally time for the NYSC (National Youth Service Corps). For my international readers, this is a one year compulsory programme for every Nigerian graduate, service to father land.
Well! Well!! Well!!, long anticipated by me, I always knew I’d love this course (NYSC 101) even though the process of registration was not an easy one, since everyone wanted to be amongst the early birds.





The NYSC programme has four cardinal points and the first course of event is the orientation which is usually a three-week camp for all prospective corps members. And so, I was posted to Magaji Dan Yamusa permanent orientation camp Keffi, Nasarawa state in North central Nigeria, 58.3km (1hr14m drive) from Abuja. The Magaji Dan Yamusa orientation is without a doubt a beautiful, calm and serene place. Even though I’d been to the camp before, sometime in 2009 to visit an uncle who served there at the time, I just couldn’t wait for my turn. And yes, Nasarawa state was one of my preferred state of choice since we had to choose 4 states during registration. The orientation camp is situated along a major road in Keffi which makes it very easy to locate unlike some camps which are situated in remote villages.
Travelling from Port-harcourt to Nasarawa was not funny at all especially when you get to board a bus where the pilot is principled and would insist on maintaining a certain speed limit. It was like hell because we patiently had to sit and pray for the journey to come to an end. Thankfully the trip became fun coz of the fact that I was travelling with fellow prospective corps members who kept cracking jokes.
I finally got to Nasarawa state camp by 1am, everywhere was dark, on seeing soldiers here and there, I got a bit scared – the military uniform scares me. I also saw Otondos as they are now been called at the gate undergoing clearance and search. Wow! “am finally here” I exclaimed with a sigh of relief.
After the stop and search operation, we proceeded to get a hostel accommodation. It wasn’t easy as the female hostel was already filled, had to run from here to there in search of a place to lay my head for the night since I was already very tired and exhausted. I and some other stranded ladies were finally taken to an empty male hostel since the ladies were more than the guys. Finally got a corner and a six spring bunk. OMG! This was the first time I was going to live in a hostel with loads of people and get to share toilets/bathroom.
We went out to get our beds which were of course new. I did a little clean up and arranging, showered up and ready to sleep (it wasn’t as easy as I’ve made it sound). It was a very short night, trust me.


The first few days were daring and really tough. We had to sleep late - all thanks to the noisy ones in the hostel - and wake as early as 3:00am in order to beat the long queue at the bathroom, dress up (and for the makeup queens, beat their faces). The bathroom/toilet was regularly cleaned but there are just some people dirty to the vein. I never got to see what the toilet looked like because I constantly paid #50 at the mammy market to ease myself.
After the morning prayers (which usually lasted from 5am-6am), we would head for morning drills/parade which almost everyone disliked, we would then head for breakfast which was usually tea and buttered bread. The tea was more like water and I never had a taste as I would just collect only bread and maybe hot water and use my beverage brought from home. My dad got me really ready for camp *smiles*. After breakfast would then be time for lectures/skill acquisition which was always boring, most times I would hide in my hostel and sleep. subsequently, I joined a skill training- shoe making. 



I learnt a lot even though there weren’t enough time as everything had it’s own time. After lectures would be lunch and then time for evening parade. There was never a time for siesta as something always keeps us occupied. After parade, dinner, social night and then lights out. This was the time table for 21 days in camp except for Sundays. “For Nasarawa, Nasarawa, Corpers No Dey Rest” was the corpers’ anthem. Whenever we heard the sound of the trumpet we knew it was time for an activity.
The parade ground was tarred which made it neat unlike the grassy grounds, loads of pictures was taken, had stable network connection.
Personally, I would say camp was fun, got to meet new friends from different parts of the country, tribe and religion. I participated actively in parade and lest I forget, I prayed to fall under platoon7 during my registration coz 7 is my favourite digit and yay! It worked. Parade/march past was not easy but I loved it. while others were trying to dudge maybe because of the harsh sun, I was trying to be at my best, We were so on point and made a beautiful parade during the platoon competition, yass!! We came 4th out of 10 platoons.
I was opportuned to see the governor of Nasarawa state as he came for our swearing in ceremony and also his wife who came for a commissioning afterwards. and also, fashion exhition.





Thank you to NYSC for turning my skin to shades, am still trying to get my glowing skin back, I am too ajebutter for that life joor. we queued for virtually everything, from registration, to food, to allowee. It was a nice, once in a while experience and am thankful and honoured to serve my fatherland as a corps member as many wished but never had the chance.
I could go on and on about my camp life, even an entire book won’t be enough, but I’ll keep telling you in my subsequent posts.
About my post primary assignment(PPA), I was posted to a primary/secondary school where I’ll be teaching for the rest of the service year.



Also Read: Dress To Succeed

Corpers Wee, Waa (NYSC 2017 batchA)


Have you served your fatherland yet? How was your camp experience? I’d also love to know your thoughts on mine. Let's CONNECT


Feel free to share this post using the super easy social share buttons.

 Sharing is caring.


                                                                             LUCHY

You Might Also Like

8 comments

  1. Nice post specially photos

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice chronicle dear. I love you ladies in that corper dress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A very big thanks Sydney,am glad you could stop by...

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Waoh it was dope and the way you explain your experience in camp shows your sensitivity to details well done

    ReplyDelete

#htmlcaption1 #htmlcaption2